Monday, July 30, 2012

My Son, Our Cat, And A Leaning Tree...


On December 1, 2011 we had an east wind blow through our neighborhood, a wind that destroyed roofs, vinyl fences, unlucky semitrailers, and lots and lots of trees. I blogged about the event several times last year and you can read about the big wind HERE, HERE, and HERE. It was a spectacular thing.


Fast forward almost eight months and effects of that same storm can still be seen. There are buildings still waiting for their roofs to be repaired. Some fences are not yet rebuilt, and at least one tree is slowly falling over, that tree is just down the street from where we live. Last night my son (and one of our cats...) followed me on a walk to take a few pictures.


It's sad to see decade's old trees slowly fall to their deaths. This particular tree survived the initial blast, but the ground under it was compromised so now the tree is actually leaning in the opposite direction of how the wind blew that day.


I suspect one day soon I'll come back from work and the 40+ feet tall tree will be down and another sentinel will be gone. I wonder if they'll plant a new tree to take its place. And if they do, I wonder if my son will one day remember the time he and his dad (and the cat...) took a little walk on a warm summer Sunday night to take a look at a falling tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment