Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Family Movie Day...


When I was a kid I used to go to the movies. I didn't see a lot, but I saw all the big ones, all the shows that my friends would see and talk about at school or in church. Things were so different then.


Now I have kids of my own and they see fewer movies than I did growing up. There's several reasons for this. When I was a kid, there were no video stores, no video games, or even cable TV for much of my childhood. And with the addition of the internet, kids have a lot of viewing options.


There are two main reasons we don't go to movies every week, or even every month...the price and the content. Maybe there's just one reason...there are very few movies worth the price of admission. Plus, it's cheaper to wait a few months and buy the film on DVD than it is to take the whole family to the theater.


Having said this, our family usually averages one movie watched in a theater a year and we've found, at least for our family, whenever a Pixar film is released, it satisfies a viewing experience that's worth the expense.


Today we ordered our tickets online, arrived a few minutes before the film started and saw "Brave." More likely than not, if you're reading this and you have kids, you've seen the film as well. The artists responsible for these films are, in a word, remarkable.


If past is prologue for our family, we probably won't find ourselves sitting it he nice high-back chairs of the theater until Pixar's next release sometime in 2013. We had a fun time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment