Sunday, June 28, 2015

Falling Asleep...At Church


So, what does this picture have to do with falling asleep in church?

Good question.

When Sunday afternoon rolls around and I find myself with a couple hundred of my neighbors in a large building designed for worship, I inevitably begin to fall asleep. Maybe not every week, but most weeks. Today was like most weeks. 

As the speakers begin, my eyelids get a little heavy. Of course, I'm still listening to the talks and taking in as much as I can. But then, after a while, I realize that my eyes have been closed for more than a few moments and if anyone asked me what the last speaker said, I'd be hard pressed to give specific details. Sometimes I even catch myself softly snoring. Usually when that happens, my wife gives me a little nudge and I return to the world of the living.

I've had trouble staying awake in church for a while, but recently, it's been even more difficult. Working two jobs, especially when one of those jobs deals with walking around in 100+ degree temperatures during the warmest part of the day dressed as a turn-of-the-century snake oil salesman. That can take a lot out of you.

I should say at this point that the reason I nod off is NOT due to the quality of the speakers. They are usually excellent with important things to learn, so really, my inattention is definitely my loss. And every once in a while I end up staying awake for all of the meetings. Maybe I'll do that next week.

But what does the above picture have to do with falling asleep in church? It's usually the first thing I see when I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment