Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Broadchurch...Another Quality British Production


I should have known the show would be good. It was headlined by David Tennant, after all. Of course, you may not be a David Tennant fan--I know some people aren't, but I don't personally know any of those people.

I'd seen the ads, but we never got around to watching it. My wife was telling me the other day that she had run out of a series to watch, and I suggested Broadchurch

And it blew us away.


A few months ago I gushed over another British production, Wallander. The Brits re-worked the show from the original Swedish (we haven't seen the Swedish version yet...). In my opinion, the British know how to make a proper drama. They take their time.. They do it right. They don't appear to sacrifice art for profit. And I'm glad we live during a time where we can instantly see shows from all around the world.

Broadchurch is the name of a town where an eleven-year old boy is murdered and his body left on a beach. Tennant's character is put in charge of the investigation. Good stories connect on a human level. I live in what I consider a small town, or at least, it used to be. We definitely see how this tragedy affects more than the family and the police. It affects everyone, and the show captures that feeling. I especially like how the two main characters, the investigator and his assistant interact. She should have gotten Tennant's job and her son was friends with the dead child. Their relationship is fascinating.


I don't watch or read a lot of mysteries, so I wasn't able to foresee who committed the crime. We know as much as the police and we learn as the show progresses. Again, if you're interested, it's a sleepy, drawn-out show. But if you've got the time and you like that sort of thing, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment