Tuesday, May 9, 2017

To Give Flowers...Or To Not?


Last week we had family in town. And fortunately, they were able to attend the play my daughter's currently in. 

This was a big deal for them and for us.

My daughter's aunt and uncle come to town a couple of times a year, and because of all the plays my daughter and I do, if they come to town when we're involved in a play, chances are we're in rehearsals and not actually performing for audiences. The shows my daughter and I do take approximately three months. The first two months are for rehearsing, and the last month we get to perform the show.

But this time, they came right in the middle of Centerpoint Legacy Theatre's production of Oliver. I was lucky enough to attend the show with them. I arrived first, then my sister-in-law and brother-in-law showed up a little later.

And they brought with them a bouquet of flowers.

My first thought--how nice of them to do that. My second thought--why don't I do things like that?

Over the years I've seen a lot of flowers brought to the theatre. I've even seen guys in the show bring a rose for each of the female cast members on opening night (a very classy move...). But it's usually theatre-goers who want to congratulate their friends and/or family members who are in the show. As I watched my sister-in-law walk to the front doors with flowers in hand, I wondered if I had ever bought flowers to my daughter. For all the shows she's done, and it's getting to be quite a few, I don't think I've ever done it before.

I'm glad people don't think the way I do when it comes to situations like this. I'm glad people want to show their appreciation to those who volunteer their time on stage and bring them beautiful things. I'm also glad our out-of-town family were able to see their niece perform and that they showed me such a sweet gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment