Wednesday, October 25, 2017

"A Man Called Ove"...A Film Review


Earlier this month I blogged about a book I just finished, Fredrik Backman's A Man Called Ove. In short, I loved the book. It's witty, charming, thoughtful, and a delight. I was talking to someone about it and I told them how much I liked the book. They told me they enjoyed the movie as well.

I had no idea they made a movie. Then again, I had no idea the book existed until this month.


It's available right now on Amazon Prime, and I must say, it's a fine tribute to a fine book. I took all these pictures from the trailer, which does a good job at letting you know what you're in for.


The film's in Swedish with English subtitles. I hope you won't let that distract you from enjoying the film. I watched part of it on my iPad and didn't understand much, but when I watched it on TV with my wife, I understood more of the native language. Swedish is basically the same language as Danish, but the accent is much different, especially to a non-native Danish speaker.


The film (like the story that proceeds it...) tells the story of Ove. A curmudgeon and recent widower who must face a his future alone. The man operates in a world where everything works, all rules must be followed--at least, that's the way it should work. What he experiences is much different. People drive where they shouldn't, they park their bikes in non-allowed areas, dogs go to the bathroom wherever they want, and more and more people seem to want to live in a manner different than Ove would have them live.


It's also a wonderful, yet tragic love story (I'm not giving away any spoilers since we find out from the first scenes that Ove recently lost his wife...). As a young man, Ove is shy, but when he finds his true love, they stay together. It was the favorite part of the movie for me.


Surrounding Ove is a cast of misfits (idiots, Ove calls them...) who at first make Ove's life a living hell, but then become his family, a family he's never had with children and even long-estranged friends.

Once in a while a film comes along that surprises you. I loved Millions for that reason, as well as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I count A Man Called Ove as one of these as well. If you get a chance, watch it. It's as delightful as the book...almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment