Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Check Out John Olson's "Crystal Servants" Story...Something I Worked On


Last week I was asked to help edit an audio file, a short story from author, and all-around good guy John M. Olsen. The short is titled, Crystal Servants, and it's from his soon-to-be released novel, Crystal King. You can learn more about the short and the novel by clicking: HERE.

Back in the day, I worked as a computer sound technician. My job was to clean up narration for a computer program. It was a cool, if not tiring (at times...) job. But since the late 1980s, I haven't had many opportunities to edit sound files. Immortal Works had me do a Flash Fiction Friday story a few months back, but I think that ended up being less than ten minutes. This one was over an hour when I got it.

I thought, "Sure. I can get that thing cranked out in no time.

Turns out, it took longer than I had anticipated.

This didn't worry me--I had a weekend coming up and it wasn't due until today. Still, last Friday I worked on it for several hours and only got the first 15-20 minutes done. I'm a bit hampered by the software I'm using to edit. It's called Audacity. It's not that bad, especially since it's free. Actually, since it's free and I couldn't have done the project without it, it's really good.

Another reason it took a while is because I'm a little picky. At first I was eliminating every breath. That takes time. After a while I kept many of the breaths in. I did try and remove as many pops and clicks as I could. It's amazing how much we pop and click when we talk.

I was able to finish up the project and I sent it over. Today Immortal Works is promoting it, and unbeknownst to me, they credited me as the Editor. They didn't need to do that--I'm appreciative that they did.

Give Crystal Servants a listen. It's free and it's good. And those are two pluses in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment