Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A Fitting Farewell To An Amazing "Seance" Season...


For the past three years I have worked at Lagoon Amusement Park's Frightmares, their season-ending ode to Halloween. The first two years were fun, but this year was beyond fun, beyond anything I could have imagined. Simply put, I had a blast!

I've done my fair share of shows over the years. Almost all come with bittersweet endings. It's amazing how friendships can form in such a short period of time. You get used to doing the show and seeing each other and when you close the door to the theater you know you'll see everyone soon.

Until the show ends, then all bets are off.


Last night we prepped the stage like we've done each time before. We welcomed in the guests, sat them in their seats, then proceeded to scare the crap out of them. I'd feel bad, except the people have come willingly--even paid extra for the opportunity--to get the crap scared out of them.

I've blogged about the show before, but I've not said much about it. It seems others who have seen the show have kept quiet, too. I had the pleasure of greeting the patrons, getting to know them a little bit. Hardly anyone knew what they were in for--it's one of the reasons the show's been so successful. 

I also got to thank everyone for coming. When they came in before the show I saw smiles, apprehension, nervousness. When they left, their faces told different stories. I saw shock, terror, relief, and in many case, complete and utter awe at what they had just experienced. Sometimes I ran into those on the park who saw the show. We spoke as if we were included in some secret club, knowing things others don't. 


I looked at the crowds before they entered and if they hadn't seen the show, there's just no way they can possibly understand what they're in for. When I told them the show is like nothing they've ever experienced before, I meant it. I was confident is saying it. Because it was true.

Those with whom I performed the show were the absolute best! From the men and women who built the space, to the genius behind its conception, to those of us lucky enough to be chosen to put it on, all created something special, something well done, something memorable. And, with the exception of our first show, we couldn't have asked for better crowds to end this year's run--they were fantastic!

Hopefully, the show will return next September. They'll need a greeter, of course. I may or may not be that person. If not, I'll always remember the past eight weeks because the show was great and we all had a blast doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment