Friday, December 28, 2018

A Tale Of A Christmas Fox, A Scarf...And Chocolate


Three days after Christmas I found a story of a fox and a scarf, and had I paid more attention, I would have discovered the story on December 1st.

You see, the story was printed on the Advent Calendar we picked up at Trader Joe's--didn't expect I'd be treated to a tale of discovery...and advertising. Last year we picked up Advent Calendars. I took mine to work and every day I opened the little paper door, thus earning my chocolate prize left exposed. This year, I set mine on the chest of drawers and basically forgot about it.

Until tonight, that is.


It was then I noticed there was more to this box of chocolates than I first thought. Each of our calendars were different. The kids chose theirs and I got what was left. My calendar showed an adventure of a "Fearless Fox and His Tangled-Up Scarf." As the calendar owner follows the scarf's trail, they would open up another window each day, gobbling up the chocolate, and moving the Fearless Fox one step closer to the end of the scarf, where it will naturally meet up with a turtle.


I had a coupe of thoughts as I looked at the adventure presented before me. It's not very Christmasy. I don't associate foxes and turtles (or even scarfs, for that matter...) with Christmas. It does say there are "24 chocolate days 'til Christmas," but that's it. Also, I found out this particular fearsome fox loves Trader Joe's more than his scarf and that he also loves Trader Joe's World's puffiest white cheddar corn puffs. I've gone my whole life not knowing these interesting bits of nature trivia. And once the fox passes beyond the twenty-fourth day, the turtle exclaims, "You did it!! Now, it's off to Trader Joe's!" I suppose eating all the chocolate is not reward enough--they get to go to Trader Joe's.


As far as adventures go, the fearsome fox tale is not very exciting. It lacks an adequate (or meaningful...) beginning, middle, and/or ending. I suppose it might be different for a child--you know, its intended audience. To be honest, I only wish it had more to do with Christmas. The chocolate pieces were shaped in Christmas themes, stars, drums, bells, and the like.


Funny, there were no chocolate foxes or turtles. I guess we'll just have to go back to Trader Joe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment