Thursday, December 6, 2018

So I've Tweeted 5000...Now What?


It's one of those things I hardly notice, but as it approached, I did. It's not a big thing. In fact, in the vast configuration of things, it's no larger than a spec of dust. But still, because it's a "milestone," it's something.

I finally sent out my 5000th tweet.

See? I told you is was nothing.

I've blogged about Twitter before. It's one of the more interesting social media platforms out there. The immediacy is unparalleled. My "wow" moment for how amazing Twitter is (or can be...) came when I was following a neighborhood fire a few years ago. The fire started in a backyard and spread. I followed the tweets as witnesses tracked the fire and told people which houses were in danger and which were not. Even the local fire department used Twitter to spread information to nervous and panicked neighbors.

I thought of all the good Twitter could do.

One of the truths by which I live, is this: "There is opposition in all things." That can definitely be said of Twitter. Anyone using the social network knows the other side of Twitter, the not good side, especially if you're even casually interested in politics, religion, or other social issues. Twitter can be terrible, or better stated, the people on Twitter can be both wonderful and awful.

I don't spend a lot of time on Twitter. I'm only at 5000 tweets (now 5001 when I post the link to this blog post...). I'm a lightweight compared to some. I find it mind-blowing that there are people out there who have hundreds and hundreds of tweets and likes and re-tweets. That's so much time. No, I like sticking in my toe. Swimming with the sharks in that tank is too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment