Thursday, December 27, 2018

So...It Was Our Puppy's Turn To Go Under The Knife


We adopted a puppy in the summer. One of the conditions of adopting this particular puppy was we would get him fixed when he was old enough. A week ago today was the day, and he's worn that big, obnoxious cone ever since.

Oh, what a pain!

Now, I've never worn such a device. Then again, I've never had that particular procedure performed, and I'm not a dog, so I don't know exactly what our dog's going through. But I can imagine. Years ago, we took our other dog to the vet, except for her she was spayed and our puppy was neutered. I don't remember getting a small cone for our little shih tzu.

I thought we would be ready for our dog to have one of those cones around his neck. I mean, how hard could it be?

Turns out, there's a lot more to consider than just having a piece of plastic attached to a dog. You see, the dog is getting big--about fifty pounds--and our house is pretty small. And when a big dog runs through a small-ish house with a dog collar on, things smaller than the dog can get pushed around.

Since he's worn the collar, we've been woken up by the sound of plastic scraping on the walls, we've been physically moved around like a bulldozer by the cone, we've had furniture moved and knocked over. I never anticipated those kinds of things. I really should have. Another thing I didn't realize was how long the cone had to be worn. Ten days. I thought it would have been max five.

The good news is we're past the halfway point in the process. By this time next week, the plastic will be gone, just a memory, and we'll get back to being woken up and pushed around by just the dog and not the annoying piece of plastic he has now.

No comments:

Post a Comment