Friday, December 21, 2018

Dropping Off The Christmas Bread...


Some traditions are long-standing, others, not so much. There's one that we observe that's been going for the past ten or so years.

In involves a loaf of bread.

In years past, we used to bake our own bread, we even had three bread makers going several times a week to make the bread our family consumed. Eventually, we stopped eating so much bread and now the bread makers are residing somewhere in the basement. Back when we did make several loaves a week, we gave out freshly baked loaves of bread as Christmas gifts to friends and neighbors.

That tradition ended years ago.

Except for one loaf, one solitary loaf.

We still give out gifts of goodies--we haven't stopped that tradition. But there's one neighbor who gets the bread. Years ago my son and I were assigned to visit their house every month as part of a church calling. Last night I took the bread my wife picked up at the store (I said we no longer make it ourselves...) over to their house and dropped it off. Like the rest of us, they're getting ready for Christmas. They have a youngster and they're looking forward to experiencing the magic of the holiday with him and with family. 

Some traditions are long-standing, others, not so much. This one, I'll keep doing as long as they'll let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment