Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Driveway That I Love, But Others...Not So Much


We moved into our house back in 2003, so everything's over fifteen years old. Including the driveway. We hired our friend Travis to pour and form our driveway and I thought he did a fantastic job. It's not the longest driveway, but it does take a while to shovel after a heavy snow.

Like most things, the driveway is showing its age after a decade and a half. There's some sections that dip, and some have risen slightly over the years, but taking everything into consideration, it's in pretty good shape. I've heard from some that the driveway has problems and a new one would be nice, but for me, well...I love our driveway.

Truly.

Even with all its imperfections.


From the pictures you can see the home where I grew up. It's the house on the left in the one picture and the house directly at the top of the driveway in the other. The reason I love our driveway is because of the driveway at the house where I grew up. It was less a driveway than it was a cheese grater for snow shovels.

It took a few years for my childhood home to be built. Eventually the asphalt driveway was poured and it served our family well for many years, but eventually, that driveway began to deteriorate and we weren't able to fix it as it fell apart. It made for some difficult snow shoveling experiences growing up. We went through SO many shovels.

And now when the snow will inevitably fall again, I will grab one of our shovels--one we've had for many winters--and go to town. And I'll be smiling as the shovel (mostly...) glides across the (mostly...) even driveway.

I love our driveway, mostly, because I know what it's like to know worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment