Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Re-Watched "Notting Hill" Today...A Really Good Rom-Com


I listened to a podcast today from Malcolm Gladwell where he interviewed three country western songwriters. 

It was fascinating.

In the interview, one played a little song he wrote and I recognized it from the film, Notting Hill. The song, When You Say Nothing at All is a classic. I love that song--in fact, there's a lot of songs I like from that film. After listening to the podcast, I found and dusted off our DVD edition of the film and watched it.

I had forgotten just what a fantastic romantic comedy it is.

It's Christmastime which means, there will be a lot of Hallmark movies being watched on TV at our house. Other networks's Christmas movies (Lifetime, Up) are being watched, too. Now, these TV movies do not have the budget Notting Hill had, nor do they have the writers, cinematographers, directors. The TV movies are--for the most part--pretty good.

They can't hold a candle to Notting Hill

The talent is spectacular. The writing is crisp and wonderful. The situation is predictable, but the characters and even soundtrack add so much. It's a funny show as well (hence, the "romantic" portion of the rom-com...). And sure, there's one line in Julia Robert's plea near the movie's end that gets a lot of eye rolls, one bad line don't spoil the whole bunch of movie.

Notting Hill is a movie that's on cable all the time. It's a film I might stop and watch for even a few minutes when I'm channel surfing. It's just a really good rom-com.

No comments:

Post a Comment