Saturday, December 29, 2018

Dame Maggie Smith...Happy Birthday!


It's winter break for all those students out there, from kindergarten to college. We have a couple of college students living under our roof, my son is close to earning his first degree--my daughter just started her college career. And because my daughter no longer is attending classes, doing homework, or performing in shows, she's spent time with my wife and me bing watching shows.

And one of those shows is Downton Abbey. She's never seen it and we thought it would be something she'd like.

We were right.


It is an amazing show where the acting matches the writing and both are stellar--it's not often that happens. Based on my daughter's reaction to the show, I believe her favorite character is that of Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham, expertly portrayed by Dame Margaret Natalie Smith, who just happens to have a birthday today.

She is an absolute joy to watch.



I can't say that I'm a "super fan" of the actress. I know I've seen her in several movies, but before she embodied another classic character, Professor Minerva McGonagall in the Harry Potter series, I probably saw her in several productions and didn't know it was her. In Downton Abbey, Dame Smith has the best lines, and looks to be having the most fun of any actor on set. Of course, I don't know that for sure, but we'd like to think so. 

And so I'd like to wish a very happy birthday to an actress who has entertained millions and will continue to do so as long as people watch her shows. May you have many, many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment