Friday, February 22, 2019

February 22nd...An Anniversary Day For Our Family


Facebook reminded me that three years ago today we welcomed our oldest child home from his LDS mission. My wife reminded me of another event that happened on February 22.

Only this event happened twenty-seven years ago today my wife and I went out on our first date. And I wrote about it in my journal.

That's not unusual--I've been writing about my daily activities since January, 1985.


There are details about that first date that my wife remembers better than me. I forgot, until I re-read that entry (it was a Saturday, by the way...) that we went bowling. After, we went to the U of U vs Wyoming mens basketball game (the Cowboys blew out the Utes 70 - 57--the internet provided that info...) and we had to do some quick talking at the ticket office because my date forgot her student ID.


I wrote about the date that night--I had positive things to say. Good thing because twenty-seven years later she and I are living in the same house and are the parents of four children and four pets.

Three years ago we gathered at the airport carrying posters and busting with anticipation. We hadn't seen our oldest in two years. Today he's been home a year longer than he was gone. Strange how time works. In some ways the three years since the airport and the twenty-seven years since our first date seem the same. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old.

Yes, February 22nd has been a good day for us.

1 comment: