Monday, February 25, 2019

Hats Off Party...An Amazing Way To Say "Thank You"


Saturday night many of my friends dressed up in their finest and went to a party. For only the second time, I joined them. The theater's been putting on this event for years to show appreciation for those who volunteer their time and talents to make the theatre a cultural and financial success.

The place was packed. 

It makes sense--the theatre, with its two stages, presents at least nine full-length shows a year, not to mention special events and children's performances. For us, it's like a church for performing, and we're the congregation. So, when the theatre throws a party, people come in droves to feel that spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

And they all looked fantastic, even without hats!

When I attended a few years ago, I went for the food. Saturday night, I went for the program, or part of the program. I performed in one show at the theatre in 2018. Some years, I've done as many as four shows. Looking at the schedule this year, it's likely I won't be on either stage in 2019. 

Because of social media, you can tell what's important to your friends. Since I have hundreds of theater friends on Facebook, my timeline was inundated by pictures and comments and videos of smiling beautiful people posing for selfies, or seeing themselves on stage. It's a testament of what--not only the party--but also the theatre means to them in their lives. I know I've dedicated numerous photos, comments, videos, and blog posts to the theatre, the shows, and my friends.

I noticed the same thing happening after I attend a writing conference the weekend before. I sort of live in both worlds, a performer and a writers. The week before my social media timelines were flooded with pictures of authors and artists mugging for selfies and videos, letting everyone know of the great time they were having at the LTUE writing conference.

I left early, didn't really talk to many people Saturday night. I had obligations with family. It might be a long time before I'm again invited to the festivities at the theatre a few miles down the road. And even if I don't go, there will no doubt be pictures and videos to show me--and everyone else--just what a great time they had. Thank you Centerpoint Legacy Theatre for the invitation. You throw a great party, even if no one's wearing hats.

1 comment: