Saturday, February 23, 2019

I Was SO Close...Almost Made It


I think I first noticed the taillight out a few weeks ago. I was in my car and I was following my wife driving the van. When she put on the brakes, the passenger side light was out. No big deal--we'd need to get that fixed. Last night, as I pulled the van into the garage, I noticed a headlight out. I knew I was needing to drop off my daughter in SLC in the morning. Great, I thought. I'll pick up the bulbs on the way home.

After dropping off my daughter, I left the freeway and made my way to the auto parts store I usually frequent for most my auto parts needs. After I signaled to turn off the main street I saw police lights in my rearview mirror.

Busted!

And I was so close to the parts store--right across the street, actually.


A few months ago I was pulled over for failing to signal before a righthand turn. This morning my mind raced as I wondered what I had done wrong. I hadn't exceeded the speed limit and I thought I had signaled. Then again, I thought I had signaled months ago when I was pulled over.

I parked and rolled down my window. The cop walked up and with a smile on his face, asked me if I knew I had a taillight out. I actually laughed. I told him I had just turned off the road to go to the store to get the bulbs.

Thankfully, he believed me. 

He gave me a warning.

I bought the bulbs then came home and swapped burned out for new. It's funny--as I drove home, I though there were dozens of places I could have stopped for the lightbulbs. I chose the one closest to my house. Of course, had I driven my car, I'd have to think of something else to write about for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment