Monday, February 18, 2019

Back In The "Writing" Saddle Again...


As I left the LTUE writing symposium Saturday, something hit me. That old friend I haven't shared company with in some time.

Who is my friend, you ask?

His name is Motivation.

And he showed up while I was surrounded by hundreds of writers, editors, publishers, and artists.

It's been a while since I really dug deep and wrote anything. Other things have taken precedence in my life. Life changes and we must adapt. Plus, getting a book published was a biggie to check off on a "to-do" list. Still, these are just excuses and you can make an excuse for anything.

Because it was a holiday I had the day off. Just like the weekends, I did laundry today. When I was in grad school and after, writing while doing laundry was the norm. Today I dusted off an old story I started years ago and began reading. I've written about 20k so far and I've always thought the story had potential. And, when you pitched the story idea to a friend (who then started his own publishing company...) years ago and he loved it then and brought it up again this weekend saying he'd love to read that story, well...it's a sign I need to get writing.

My friend Motivation is fickle--perhaps that's more my fault. I'm hoping to return to the days where I write something every single day. I'd like to continue this relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, Scott! It's been good to read about you following your writing passion. I was remembering a few years back there was a little writing contest that you introduced to me, one where your story could not be more than 500 words and must contain 5 specific words. I enjoyed writing the few entries I submitted and was wondering if they still do that. If not, do you recommend any writing contests like that? I liked the writing+contest aspect because I'm competitive and I like to write but I'm lazy and don't write as often as I should. Anyway, what can you recommend?

    Other than that, I hope to see you soon. I read your Mamma Mia post. I ALMOST auditioned for that. I hope we can be in a show again together.

    Quinn

    ReplyDelete