Friday, September 17, 2021

FanX, 2021 Edition...Day 1


 This week has been, in a word, insane. I knew it would be. Last week Frightmares opened for the season and I spent a couple of days at the park getting ready for our show. This week FanX returned to existence, and I spent a couple of days at the Salt Palace getting ready for that show. And today, both events merged, at least, they did for me.

But, yesterday, it was all FanX.

I am part of the programming team so I usually don't take a ton of pictures. Truth be told, there's so many picture-worthy things at the convention that I could spend all day just taking pictures of people. My assignment at the convention is the convention floor stage. Liz and I make sure the acts go off without a hitch. Yesterday was wonderful. Good crowds, mega-talented performers, and our tech guy Ryan (who looks a lot like a young Freddie Prince, Jr...) who could not have been better. What I love about the stage is the different acts we can get. What you can't see in the picture with the harpist is, just beyond the back row of on-lookers, there's a pro wrestling ring set up. We had harp music accompanying big beefy men slamming each other on the mat.

Surreal.

I know there are people who make their living at these type of conventions. They travel from city to city (or, they did before covid...) and do a show every week. That's a tough life. I was burned out an hour after the doors opened. Thankfully, I could sit during the performances and put out fires when needed. We had no fires on Day 1.

One thing I heard over and over again was how much everyone had missed the experience of being at a con. I know how they feel. 

As I'm typing this, FanX is still entertaining, surprising, and hopefully enriching thousands upon thousands of people about 15 miles to the south of where I am right now. In a few hours, I'll be entertaining, surprising, and hopefully scaring the stuffing out of dozens of people at our venue.

What a way to spend a weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment