Friday, September 3, 2021

Lost Boys...Seven Years Ago


 Facebook has a function where it shows you something you posted in the past. It highlights a memory from the day in history...your history, as chronicled by Facebook. This morning the above picture showed up as my memory.

They say a picture's worth a thousand words...

But, how many memories is it worth?

I loved this picture when I took it, and I love it still today. On this day in 2014 I was part of a community theater production of Peter Pan. I was a pirate--it's fun being a pirate. I worked with a tremendous team, from the director to the stage crew to the theater staff. Wonderful people.

Then there were the lost boys. 

If you've ever done a show with kids, you know it's a challenge. If you have a couple of kids in a show with adults, they usually do well. Maybe it has something to do with trying to impress the adults. I don't know. But when you get a gaggle of kids in a show, they do what groups of kids tend to do...

They act like kids.

Now, I don't want to give you the wrong impression--these kids were great to work with and did a fantastic job onstage and off. They were just loud and fun and enjoying their experience. For me, the photo caught their spirit, their joy, their wonder.

It's been seven years. I can't remember one of their names, but I've kept in touch with many of their parents (some were in the show...). They're no longer children, hopefully no longer "lost." They do what Peter Pan couldn't--or wouldn't--do...they're growing up. For me, the past seven years have come and gone with much of my life feeling the same. 

For them...it's a lifetime.

I hope our lost boys are still loud (within reason...), and joyful, and full of wonder. I hope they're above all happy, they way they used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment