Wednesday, September 8, 2021

That Can-Do Attitude...


 Decades ago, I lived in Europe--Northern Europe--Scandinavia--Denmark, to be exact. It was an amazing place and because the people of Denmark looked a lot like me, and because the cars were (somewhat...) like those at home and by "like" I mean they drove on the same side of the road as we do, I saw a lot of things that reminded me of home.

But, in the two years I lived there, I don't think I ever saw kids setting up a stand by the side of the road and sold stuff...not lemonade, not popsicles, not car washes...

And I never saw a stand where kids sold rocks.

The other day I was walking in our neighborhood and I came across a stand...well, a table. On that table were rocks and those rocks were for sale. I loved it. This was a "self-service" sales table. I suppose had I actually been carrying cash with me and I wanted to buy one of the beautiful samples, I could have knocked on the door and purchased said rock.

It's been a long time since I lived in another country. I don't know if kids sold things in front of their homes, or if there were laws against doing some things. I don't wish to imply that kids in other parts of the world are not as entrepreneurial as kids here--I'll bet they are because there's something beautiful kids possess that we adults have forgotten...that can-do attitude.

It was a kick to see another example of that attitude the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment