Thursday, September 30, 2021

Personally...I Didn't Think It Was So Bad


 From my office window (which is really a bedroom window...), I can see the various mail carriers approach our mailbox and deliver the goods. Sometimes, they pass us by, but not often. And because we're sometimes non-recipients of mail, I will watch as the car/van approaches to see if they stop and put something in the mailbox.

The other day, they did...

It didn't quite fit.

Our mail carriers are efficient. You can tell because they're so fast. Stop--open the mailbox--shove in the mail--move the van. Bing/bang/boom. But the other day, she stopped, opened the mailbox, put in some mail, then the van didn't move. Because I was watching, I wondered why.

Turns out, we had a box that was too big for the mailbox. I thought maybe the driver would get out of the car and bring the box to the house. Nope...she somehow placed the box so that it rested atop the open door.

Actually, I was impressed.

The car moved on and I decided to take a short work break and go get the box. I couldn't tell how secure it was--I didn't want it to fall. I snapped a picture as I got close. Turns out, it was pretty secure the way it was wedged into the box like that. Later that day, I posted the picture as my Pic Of The Day with some snarky caption. Then, I didn't think much of it.

Until a friend posted a comment on social media.

He posted, "This is unacceptable."

I hold my friend's opinion in high regard, partially because he's a friend, but mostly because he's been a mail carrier for decades. 

Personally, I didn't think it was so bad. I believe the carrier would not have left the box the way she did if she didn't feel it was secure. Yes, the box was too big and it does look like a precarious situation from the photo, but I'm giving the carrier the benefit of the doubt. After all, the package was successfully delivered, which is, first and foremost, the goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment