Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Bringing Back The Memories...


 I saw the poster hanging at a local pizza joint. It was flashy and bright and had an attention-grabbing photo. The sole purpose (or main purpose...) of the poster is to get you excited to the point that you will go out and order tickets to the event.

To me, the poster transported me back about fifty or so years.

I doubt those creating the poster thought it would have that affect on anyone.

In the early 1970s, my father worked as a civilian contractor at Hill Air Force Base. Unfortunately, he passed away before I could get to know all the things he did, but I do know one of the perks of his job was scoring tickets to the local rodeos and demolition derbies that took place a few miles from our home.

Yes, I remember going to those events at the grandstand at Lagoon Amusement Park.

Many of the "old timers" remember it, too.

If I remember (and it's been a while...), Friday night was demolition derby night and the rodeos were on Saturdays. If you look in the photo of the field, the grandstand is visible in the lower right-hand corner. They tore out the rodeo fence and fairground buildings before this photo was taken. Going to the fair each summer was a lot of fun as well.

In a few days, people will gather including families, to watch and enjoy people climb into vehicles and crash the crap out of them. I wonder if those kids will see a poster advertising an event and remember back when they were young and they went to a demolition derby at the Box Elder County Fairgrounds in Tremonton, Utah.

I hope so. Those will most likely be great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment