Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Oh...The Places You Won't Go


You may have seen this question posted on the internet. It's been making the rounds of social media and many of my friends have responded. I usually let those things go and don't participate, but something about this one made me respond.

Looks like I'm average.

Social media is a perfect place to show you all the places you won't go. It's summer and people are doing something they haven't done for a couple of years--go on vacation. I have friends who are right now in Europe, Switzerland and England. A few months ago another friend posted pictures of their family having fun in Spain, and another in Hawaii. Then there's the hundreds and hundreds of pictures of friends on the coasts, west coast, east coast, southern coast. 

And I'm happy for them. I really am.

Then, something comes along like the above question that makes me think. I might get to a few more of the places on that list in my lifetime. Then again, six is all I might see. I'm okay with that. I've learned long ago to acknowledge what is really important and focus on those things. Of course, if travel were important to me and my family, we would make that a priority and go. It's not, so we don't. Also, when I think of going somewhere/anywhere, the thought of spending money would most likely overwhelm all the great things about travel.

Before I was married, I traveled quite a bit. Thanks to university choir tours (and some student loans...) I was fortunate enough to visit Europe, Washington D.C., and England. I enjoyed the trips--loved them, actually. 

Now, we stay home. Home is wonderful. Home is really all I need. Some people can't imagine going on only three vacations in twenty years, but that's how we choose to live. Would I like to go to Walt Disney World, or see the Empire State Building? Sure. If I never make it, however, I'm not losing sleep over it. Life's too short to be miserable because of the things you don't have.


No comments:

Post a Comment