Thursday, June 16, 2022

You Can Catch More Bees With Honey Than With Vinegar--You Can Catch More People With Food Than With...No Food


 Before the world-changing events of the past couple of years, my employer held summer parties for their employees. Many times I've attended these events. Many times the schedule for these events remains the same...

Food and games.

Since it's summer and "recommendations" from experts have changed, my employer has resumed these parties. This past week, it was our turn. The location--an incredibly beautiful public park in Logan, Utah. The purpose--to gather as co-workers, eat food, and enjoy the break.

Like years before, I attended (as the photographs prove...). The event began with introductions. Of the fifty or sixty people attending, I knew about 10%. Next, came the food. Good food! It was catered and I filled my plate. 

A question came to me...

Would we have gathered if there was no food?

The idiom came to me, "You can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar." I'm no biologist or apiologist. I have no idea if this phrase is literally true, but I am pretty sure if this gathering had no food (or pre-meal snacks...), attendance would have been down. Of course, if this were a mandatory party, we'd show up, food or not.

Next year, God willing, the e-mails will be sent a month or two before the summer party takes place. If things remain the same, we'll have the option to attend or decline. Also, if things remain the same, food will be served. There should be a new idiom...

If you serve food, they will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment