Sunday, June 26, 2022

Give Thanks...For Restoration


 Sometime, between last week and Memorial Day, our parent's headstone was damaged. My niece noticed the damage. My brother, as the family's spokesperson, contacted the city and thankfully, the damage will be repaired.

Us kids did not know this for years, but our mother did not care for the headstone. In the mid-1970s the city cemetery had a policy--no raised headstones. So, when my father passed away, we abided by the city's rules. I'm not sure when, but afterword the city changed their policy. Raised headstones were once agin allowed. Our mother talked about getting a new headstone for years, perhaps when she passed away.

After my mother was diagnosed with cancer and that cancer progressed, she knew her time was short. Just like the city, she also changed her mind as to the headstone. She just wanted us to keep it--no need spending more money on something she didn't like, especially since she won't be around to see it. We ended up honoring her wishes.

My parents adopted three children...I'm the middle one. My father passed away when I was young so my mother ended up raising three children under ten as a single mother. They're both gone now and the headstone is a symbol of their lives. If I had the means, I would build a mausoleum at the site to their memory. This, of course, would be something of which my mother would not approve.

The stone will be replaced. I wish we could bring back our parents just as easy. But one day, they'll be restored, as will we all. It's a promise given and one I believe will become a promise made. I'm so incredibly grateful for those two people who made the choice to bring three babies into their lives and become a family. I know my life was forever changed by their selfless act. Miss you, mom and dad. Glad the stone that marks your graves will be restored, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment