Monday, June 27, 2022

Time To Introduce My Daughter To...The Classics


 Recently, we've been introducing our daughter to some of the classic movies my wife and I grew up with. We feel it's part of being a good parent. I saw this meme and it made me laugh because Poltergeist was one of the classic shows we just watched.

We've watched classic shows with her in the past. My wife and I would think about a show from our youth, then we'd ask our daughter if she'd seen it. If not, we do a little searching and if the show was free for us to watch, we'd all sit down and enjoy the entertainment that was, in its day, considered the high mark of the medium. I think this past week was the first time my wife and I sought out films we enjoyed for my daughter to experience the same thing as we did when we were her age.

The first show we watched was, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was sort of surprised she hadn't seen it before. She knew of the show, of course, but never watched it. 

Next, came Poltergeist. I remember that show scared the crap out of me. As I re-watched, I remember the scenes that freaked me out. They're still powerful, but not as much. We live in an era where movie effects are unsurpassed in their realistic depictions of everything. It's tough for a movie from the 1980s to compete with what can be done today.

We have more movies we want to show. Thankfully, our daughter enjoys watching "golden oldies" with her parents. I wonder if she'll do the same thing with her children in twenty or thirty years. And if so, what will they all watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment