Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Random Headstones...And A Way To Find Them All


 On Sunday, our family gathered at the Farmington Cemetery in Farmington, Utah. It's a place that has headstones for my father, mother, and most recently, my little and only sister. It's an incredibly beautiful place with mountains to the east and a lake to the west.

There's also many friends and family of friends with their names etched in stone.

I've visited the cemetery hundreds of times over the half century I lived in town. Unfortunately, I can no longer hope in my car (or bike or walk...) the mile or so south and pay my respects. Now it's an hour drive there and an hour drive back. 

Still worth it.

We visited the family graves...my side and my wife's. I also snapped a couple of photos of headstones for people I've never met--at least, not that I know. Each have stories upon stories behind the names and dates. Each hold incredible importance to many.

As we left, I came across the map of the cemetery with each plot identified by number (space...) and letter (section...). An invaluable tool.

I wish I could spend more time there. I'd love to be able to walk the entire cemetery, checking out all those names and dates. The place used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. Now, well...things have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment