Monday, November 11, 2013

Dad's WWII Pictures...And A Plea


While enjoying my day off, I browsed several social media sites and noticed s trend. Maybe people have been doing this for years. If so, I've missed it.

 


The trend was to post pictures of relatives who are and were veterans. I posted one of my favorite pictures of all time, my dad posing with his B-17 crew. I decided to post all the pictures I have of my father when he served as a tail gunner on a B-17 crew in Europe.



These few pictures are the only connection I have to my father and the experiences he had. My dad passed away almost 40 years ago. I never got the chance to ask him anything about what he went through. I don't know any of the men in these photos, except my dad, and chances are they are no longer with us, either. All those memories are gone.


A word of advice to all veterans out there, please take time to record your experiences. Write them down, record them, or tell those you love about not just what happened, but how you felt during your service and how the time you gave for others changed you.


It doesn't take much to look around see just how much has changed in one generation. We can also see how many want to change history so it reflect a world view that they feel is best for everyone. 


When you write down the things you went through, families and loved ones can remember what really happened, not what others think happened. Take it from someone who wishes thing had turn out differently, you'll never know how important those memories are for others.


Thank you to all those who served and those who supported them. Happy Veteran's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment