Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Michael Chabon's "The Yiddish Policemen's Union"...A Book Review

The Yiddish Policemen's Union*

Yesterday I finished reading Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union. I didn't realize until I had finished that there's a glossary in the back of the book.

To quote Adam Sandler in The Wedding Singer "Gee, you know that information...really would have been more useful to me yesterday." (or when I first began reading the book...)

Then again, there were so many unknown Jewish words used in this book, it might have taken me a good deal longer to finish it because of all the flipping back and forth from the text to the glossary while I read the book.

There are a lot of religions about which I know little. The Jewish faith is one of them. But Chabon's story focuses on someone I think we can all identify with, a down-on-his-luck policeman living in Alaska investigating a murder. He deals with  powerful Jewish organizations, the system, and his ex-wife. It's a mystery with all the twists and turns expected in the genre and I never figured out who did it until I read the last chapter.

My last semester in grad school the author came and spoke to the English department. As a speaker her was very entertaining. I still remember his story about raising "nerd children," and how his kids were fans of Dr. Who before the David Tennant days--quite impressive.

The author signed the two books I bought, and I finally got around to finishing one of them. Maybe for the next book, I check first to see if there's a glossary in the back of the book.



* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16703.The_Yiddish_Policemen_s_Union?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment