Saturday, September 20, 2014

Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Shadow"...A Book Review

9532*

A friend (and fellow pirate...) and I were talking a few weeks ago and we were discussing books. He's a huge Ender's Game fan as well as all the Enderverse books. "Have you read Ender's Shadow?" he asked.

"I started it, but I never finished it," I told him.

And then I began to wonder why I never finished it. I had read Ender's Game a year before I checked out the audio version of Ender's Shadow. I think I was about a quarter the way through when I stopped. But I think I'm glad I ended up reading it now. I've had a long time to digest Ender, at least more than I had before. I'm sure the film helped.

"Ender's Shadow and the whole Bean series is my favorite--of all of Card's books," my friend said. This made me want to read the book even more, so I checked it out and finished it in two days. I really enjoyed Ender's Shadow. And I liked it because it wasn't as complicated as Ender's Game. Plus, it's a compliment to a story I already knew. I kept finding myself going back to the original story and wondering if I remembered things that happened when it came to Ender and Bean.

I'll be reading Ender's Game again. If you enjoyed Ender's Game, you need to read this book. It's a straight-forward re-telling that sets up the series as one full of potential. I've put on hold the next two books in the Ender's Shadow series. I'm pretty sure I'm going to finish them all.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9532.Ender_s_Shadow?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment