Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Names On Cokes--Some Say Annoying...Some Say Dumb...I Say Brilliant Advertising!


I wonder what you thought when you first saw/heard about Coca Cola's marketing campaign where different names appear on the side of Coke cans and bottles. Maybe some of you thought it was dumb, or annoying, but personally, I thought it was genius.

And, as it continues, I've not changed my opinion. In fact, I'm more convinced now than I was then. I bought a 20 oz. Coke the other day and brought it home because I failed to drink it all. I put it in the fridge then forgot about it. My wife got home and asked me, "Who's Harriet?"

I had nothing.

I had no idea what she was talking about. My mind raced to think of an e-mail we might have gotten from someone named "Harriet." So, I asked her, "Who's Harriet?" She then told me it was the name on the bottle and she was just having a little fun.

But the above picture shows the true power of Coke's idea. I bought another bottle and it had the name "Blake" on it. First thing that came to my mind was all the people I know, or have known, named Blake. Then, because I have a friend on social media named Blake I took a picture of the two Blakes together. If I had a million followers and I showed them my picture, that's 100% free advertising for Coke. They don't have to pay a dime for that coverage. Now, my social media reach is no where near that, but it's my picture is still a free ad for Coke.

And every time anyone does the same thing, the result's the same, too--free ads.

I have no idea how long the campaign will last, but Coca Cola has successfully created something for the 21st century. Well done!

2 comments:

  1. Clever marketing. We don't drink Coke in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stupid. I will either spend 10 minutes with the convenience store's fridge door open trying to find my name or just randomly pull 2 in a hurry only to find they represent enemies.

    ReplyDelete