Thursday, October 30, 2014

To Dress Up For Halloween At Work...Or Not


Chances are, where you work allows--to some degree--their employees to dress up on Halloween (or close to it if many of your workers won't be at work on Halloween day...). I've worked at several places and I've found it to be the case at every one of them.

But, it always begs the question...should we? I mean, we have a dress code at work that includes (among other things...) no wearing of jeans unless it's a Friday and unless you have purchased a shirt with an official work logo on it--nice way to generate a little revenue for the ol' corporate shirt manufacturers. But at my work they've never been too stingy to deny us the ability to dress up.

Some places go all out--some not so much. To be honest, I have no idea how people are going to dress at work tomorrow--I won't be there. For the past several years I've taken Halloween day off. It's a great day to be home and help out with all the pre-Halloween activities, the carvings of pumpkins, decorating the house, getting ready for a party if there's one to go to.

Today our department decided to have a party. We brought potluck for lunch and a couple of us dressed up. Actually, I just wore my homemade Charlie Brown sweatshirt. Interesting side story: I also wore it at rehearsal tonight and a girl about 12 or so asked me what was up with my orange shirt with the black stripes. What kind of a world do we live in when kids no longer recognize Charlie Brown? Not a good one, that's what.

After weighing the pros and cons, I say letting the employees dress up probably does more good than harm. Of course, that depends a lot on the costume and who's wearing it. And if you know what I'm talking about, then you know what I'm talking about. I hope you all have a wonderful Halloween day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment