Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Rustmonster "Clockman: A Steampunk Rock Opera"...Awesome!


Last week I picked up a new CD. Not a lot of steampunk-themed albums out there.

Too bad.

Rustmonster's Clockman: A Steampunk Rock Opera does the musical genre proud.

A few years ago I attended the Gangrene Music Festival. That year's theme: Steampunk. Rustmonster recorded the songs and released the songs from that festival on CD.

If you're not familiar with Steampunk, it's a literary genre, a fashion movement, an art style, and there's even music. There's some discussion about what can be and what shouldn't be classified as "steampunk," but I can say with certainty, that if you want to know what Steampunk music sounds like, listen to this CD.

The first song, March of the Fools, reminded me of Pat Metheny Group's Forward March, the first song on their amazing First Circle album. But Rustmonster plays their song better. All the songs on the CD are raw, industrial, real. They're like a steak meal that's delicious, but a little tough. The meal, however, stays with you. Gives you courage and strength all day long.

In addition to some gritty songs, there's a bonus audiobook in three parts, a story called, Coke, Steel, and Oil. It's worth the price of admission right there.

I liked these songs. I'm partial to all things Steampunk so that helps. I also love the fact that the musicians are local, and they're talented. Do a "Rustmonster" search on iTunes or Google Play. It's there. I admit, this music may not be for everyone. You may not like it, but I guarantee, if you do like it, you'll really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment