Monday, January 22, 2018

"Zelda: A Link To The Past"...One Of The Best Video Games Ever!


Last week my youngest decided he wanted to go into the basement, dust off the old Super NES and play a few video games. It took some work to hook it up because no modern TV uses coaxial cable (we had to use our old VCR coaxial outputs--another ancient example of technology...). Eventually we shoved the cassette into the player--after blowing the dust from the cassette connectors--clicked "on" and the sweet sounds of Zelda: A Link to the Past came to life.

What an amazingly lovely sound.

Tonight I played the game for the first time in probably a decade. Score!


I remember getting a Super NES for Christmas  back in the late 1990s. It came with Zelda. My kids were young back then so the people who played the game the most were my wife and me. We worked through the levels, overcoming the baddies, and completing the game. This was before you could go online and find out cheat codes. It was good ol' fashioned trial and error. 

Those were good times.

Tonight I completed only the one maze, the one where Zelda is held captive. I needed to stop because if I didn't, I wouldn't have time to write this post, or get enough sleep for work tomorrow. I know this is not the first Zelda game. I never did play games on a regular NES, so I can't say if the original game was good. I also have not played any of the versions that came after this one, but for me, it doesn't matter. This is a classic game, a game I can see myself playing in another decade. It's just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment