Saturday, September 29, 2018

Check Out The "Space Jam" Movie Website...A Blast From The Past


I was listening to a podcast last week when one of the presenters said an off-hand comment about a website that has not changed since it went live. That's not so unusual, except this website was launched in 1996, over twenty years ago.

It's hard to remember what the internet looked like in 1996, but for those of us that were using the internet back then in its infancy (at least, when it first became an option for the general public...), please go to this website and check it out. It'll all come flooding back. It's the website for the movie, Space Jam. You can access the site: HERE.


I never actually saw the movie, Space Jam. When it came out, our first sone was only one, too young to want to watch it. The film then became one of thousands that just sort of blended together in shows we never watched. Since I wasn't much interested in the film, I never thought about going to the film's website. And I've not had the desire to check it out between 1996 and today, until I heard that it hasn't changed.

I'm sure that when it came out, the website was modern, up-to-date. It had all the information that would satisfy fans of the show. I mean, you could get information on the athletes, the actors, the teams--it was a cornucopia of knowledge, a real date feast just waiting to be eaten.

After checking out the ancient (by electronic standards...) site, I wondered why they never touched it, why they didn't either update it or take it down. Maybe they thought it was a fitting tribute to the show, or maybe they just forgot about it. Apparently, Space Jam 2 is on it's way. This will no doubt generate interest in the original film. They could make changes to the Space Jam website, but I hope they don't. I hope they keep it just the way it is. That way, if I ever wonder what the internet looked like back in the mid-1990s, with one click I can find out. And if you check it out by accessing the above link, you'll find out too.

2 comments:

  1. I sure remember this movie! At least, the first one. I didn't have access to the internet back then (maybe I did but I didn't have a computer at home, at least). Now I'll DEFINITELY check this out :)

    ReplyDelete