Saturday, September 15, 2018

Would I Love To Know...How Dogs Think?


I was in a bookstore today and I found myself next to a magazine rack. There were dozens of titles to choose from, each cover competing for my attention. I'm not any of the magazines's target audience. I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine from a store (or from anywhere else, for that matter...).

But a special edition of Time made me think twice about my "never buying a magazine from a store" philosophy. The title of the edition was:

How Dogs Think - Inside the Canine Mind.

Now, I have no idea what's inside the pages of Time. I don't know what kind of scientific breakthrough has been achieved in the past couple of years. Maybe they're almost at a breakthrough to where we're so so close to not only speaking with dogs, but understanding them as well. Of course, the title doesn't mention anything about communication, only knowing how their brain operates.

Then again, the story might simply include measured guesses by experts in the field. The puppy's cute, the title questioning and engaging. Perhaps that's all they need to move the product.

I know we have a new dog in our house. We think we might know how his brain works. In the thousands of years of recorded history, including the history of humans and dogs, we seem to have communicated and understood each other well enough to live together--for the most part--in harmony. Do we also need to know how their brain works? Seems to me not knowing is a bit of a pain, but also part of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment