Sunday, September 16, 2018

I Survived...My First Book Signing


Last week I announced on my blog that I would be doing a book signing on Saturday at the Barnes & Noble bookstore in West Jordan, Utah. Needless to say, the response was wonderful. I had over six-hundred views on my blog (I average about 100 views per blog post...), and I had several likes, comments, and shares from my Facebook post. 

It made the thought of doing a book signing less terrifying.

Perhaps I should clarify. 

I always thought doing a book signing could be an amazing experience. People would come over to the table, talk about books and your book in particular, and even buy a book signed specifically for either them or someone they knew. But there'a also a down side to doing a book signing.

What if no one showed up?

It's kind of like doing stand-up comedy. What if no one laughed?

I was contacted by a representative of my publisher, asked if I'd be available on the 15th, and I told him I was. I then asked if any other authors were going to be there. "Nope, just you," he said. 

Okay, I thought...authors do book signings all the time. It'll be fun. Besides, I had FanX and starting my Halloween gig coming up to distract me from the thought of people not showing up. The days passed and finally Saturday arrived.

Time for the big event.


I should say that walking into the store and seeing my book on the table was a very cool thing. I got a blueberry muffin and some orange juice, set up my table, put up my signs with quotes from my friend Marion Jensen, and then waited. 


At first, no one came. I then saw a familiar face, a face I'd known for decades--my cousin stopped by and picked up a book. I took a selfie. Next my family showed up. Since it was Saturday morning, I wasn't sure if they were coming--there's so much to do on Saturdays. They wanted to surprise me and they did.

I was there for three hours. I sold almost as many books as I did during the three days of FanX. Sure, there were times when no one talked to me (even with my signs...) or seemed interested in my book at all. This was what I was worried about. But something interesting happened. 


I look around. Even though I didn't have dozens and dozens of people lined up, nor were there boxes and boxes of books sold, nor did my hand cramp up because I was signing so many books, it hit me. I was in a bookstore and my book was just as accessible as all the other books and I could talk to people about it. At that moment I didn't care if no one was showing up or those other things weren't happening. I was at a book signing, it was my book, and I was the author. The feeling was awesome!

Thanks to everyone who stopped in and said "hi." Thanks to everyone who offered support on social media. Especially, thanks to my wonderful family and friends who have always supported me. You're the best! Now, let's set up another signing! I'm ready to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment