Thursday, September 27, 2018

My Very Limited Funko Pop Addiction...


You've seen them. Chances are you've got a couple of dozen of them sitting somewhere in your house, be it in a china cabinet, or in your kid's bedrooms. They may be confined in their original packaging, or they're free from their card stock and plastic prisons.

They're Funko Pop figurines and they're everywhere.

Last week I bought my first one, not from this month's FanX Comic Con, not from a store, or from Ebay, but from a yard sale. It's a 2010 Batman and I like him.

For the past couple of years, my family members have found cute Funko Pop figurines at Salt Lake's FanX and Comic Con events--everyone, but me, that is. For some reason, I never saw one that I liked. It could have been the hundreds to choose from that distracted me. Whatever it was, I never found one I liked.

Last weekend, my wife and I stopped at a yard sale and I spotted this little guy. The seller was asking 50¢, but I gave him a dollar. A quick on-line search of my particular Batman showed a pristine Batman of this style in its box could fetch anywhere from $100 to $200. Mine is not pristine, nor do I have the box. Besides, I don't feel like getting rid of it.

I think one of the reasons I didn't want to get one before is because I didn't want to get the next one. They make so many that I know I'd want my favorite Star Wars characters, but which one of the literally hundreds do I choose? Same goes for Star Trek, and Firefly, Harry Potter, Peanuts, Marvel universe, and countless others. It can quickly become a very expensive addiction that can never be completely satisfied.

So, for now at least, I'll stick with my one. It's a good one. He's cute and older, and he sits at my desk at work. One day I might get some friends for him--maybe I ought to go to more yard sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment