Sunday, September 23, 2018

Dusted Off The Old Fraternity Ring...


I'm in a show with an actor who wears a big ring. If I remember correctly, it's his father's class ring and it's beautiful. I bought a class ring when I graduated from high school, but I lost it and never had it replaced. His ring reminded me of one ring I didn't loose--my college fraternity ring.

It's beautiful, too.

The fraternity no longer exists, which is a shame. I had a lot of good memories in that fraternity and met many I still consider friends to this day. Now, I have a few pictures, fading memories, a fraternity pin (that I seldom wear because I don't wear suits that often...), and my ring.

I decided to dust if off and I wore it to church and then to the shows we did today.


When I bought that ring, I had no idea the future. I had no idea where my life would take me or what experiences I'd get to enjoy. I thought it would be cool to have something that linked me to the organization, to the guys, to the Big Dog parties and the mini golf tournaments, to "Scamouflage," and to all the other events--big and small--that bonded us as friends and brothers.

As the years separate me from the events of decades past, so much has changed. I no longer dress the way I did in college. I can't fit into the same clothes, and the ring no longer fits on my right-hand ring finger. Since my fingers have gotten fatter, it barely fits on my pinkie. But if I were to take that ring, but it in a safe or strongbox, it'll keep for centuries. I hope my memories do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment