Sunday, September 2, 2018

Thank You Monte...For The Example, The Words Of Wisdom, And The Friendship


We closed a show last week. As with anything that begins, it must also end. It goes without saying that every show I've done has come to a close and almost every time, the ending is bittersweet. Each show has its own personality, its own spirit. Some closings are tougher to take than others. This one for me will be more the former. It's not just because it was a great show and a blast to do, it's because I met so many people I had not worked with before. And when that happens, you're not sure when you'll work with them again.

One actor, Monte Garcia, was someone I had not had the pleasure of working with before. I could tell immediately at rehearsals why he was chosen as a lead. He's got talent, charisma, and beautiful pipes that is so important for a musical and makes the production that much better. He's also a great guy, which isn't always the case with someone who is good at what they do.

Working with Monte was always a joy.

I had the opportunity to perform with him on the last night both of us did the show. Before we take the stage it's tradition at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre to meet together as a cast in the green room, join hands, and have either a prayer or a thought. Several spoke because it would be the last time this particular cast would put on this particular show. Then Monte cleared his throat and delivered a message that I hope remains with me, not just for future shows, but for my entire life.

He fought back tears as he recalled receiving advice as a young actor. Now he wanted to be the mentor to the younger generation. He said he was told if he followed three rules, he would find success on the stage, and I apologize for not quoting him directly (I'll try and capture the essence of what he said...). The three rules are:

1: Show up and hit your mark.

He said it's our responsibility to show up for a scene, a rehearsal, a line--whatever it is, be on time. If you do, you'll get cast in shows again and again.

2: Be focused and do your job.

Even a one-man show has others helping. When you're on stage you rely on everyone to do their job and they rely on you. Remember, it's not just about you.

3: Be honest in the story you're telling

This advice had the biggest impact on me. The arts are (or should be...) all about honesty, honesty of message, honesty of emotion, honesty of purpose. 

One thing I love about these rules are they aren't just for performing. They apply for work, for relationships, for families...basically, for life. Thank you Monte for your example, your words of wisdom, and your friendship. And who knows? We may just get to share the stage again in the future. And if we do, it will be a joy. God bless, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment