Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Tis The Season...For Fire Fighting Planes


There's something else in the air besides all that smoke from raging forest fires--it's scores and scores of planes carrying fire fighting materials.

We've been hearing them all month long.

I'm not sure, but I think they take off from the local air force base--that's where they seem to be going when I see them fly over. Right now I believe there's several fires about a hundred miles to the south of us. I know several families were evacuated. I haven't heard much about how they're doing controlling the fires--hopefully, no news is good news in this instance.

We've had fires on our mountain before. One almost caused an evacuation a week before we moved into our newly-built home. That was July, 2003. That was a bad one--thankfully no homes were destroyed, but it came close, within feet of some homes. We had another fire maybe six or seven years ago. That wasn't as bad, but I remember the planes dropping the red stuff on the flames.

Today the planes continued. I could hear them as I sat at my desk at work. I guess as long as the planes are flying, there's still fires to put out. It also means that help is still coming from the air. Every year we see the planes. It seems we've seen more this year than normal. Glad they're up there. Glad they're helping. I hope I stop seeing the flights soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment