Monday, September 24, 2018

My Second Favorite Person Carl Bloch Ever Painted...


In church yesterday I noticed a painting that hangs prominently in the foyer. It's a reproduction of Carl Bloch's Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda. It's from one of my favorite artists because he's a Dane, I love the subject matter, and I've seen the original.

I'm no art expert, nor have I studied art to the point where I can tell you why this is an example of a quality piece other than I like it and it makes me think about truly important things. I imagine all cultures and societies shun and hide the sick. In the paining we're shown by example to seek out and  sick and offer any comfort we can. There is one aspect of the painting that makes me think about these things every time I look at it.

It's the man sitting down on the steps next to the man who is sick.

There's a thousand thoughts expressed in his face.

Art should involve those who see it. It should evoke an emotional response, and this man's face does that for me every time I see it. 

What I see most, however, is a question.

And the question I see in the man's eyes is this, "What are you doing?"

For those who believe in the mission of Jesus Christ, we are given opportunities to serve others. We're to follow His example. In the painting Christ not only acknowledged the man hidden from the world, but gestures to him, sheds light on him, gives him hope--all while others have banished him from society.

What am I doing? Am I shunning others? Do I ignore those hidden who need help and can't help themselves? The man in the painting is calling to me. He's looking inside of me making me ask questions of myself. 

There's many people in Carl Bloch's paintings of Christ that make me stop and think. The old man with the beard looking up in The Sermon on the Mount, the woman in The Woman at the Well, Judas in The Last Supper, the crying man in The Burial of Christ. They all show an aspect of humanity, but it's the man sitting next to the banished that touches me the most. If you're not familiar with Carl Bloch's paintings, check out this website: HERE. There's some beautiful works of art there.

No comments:

Post a Comment