Saturday, September 22, 2018

What Did We Do On Our Anniversary? Lots...Including The Laundry


A few months ago I was sitting in the green room of our local community theater chatting with cast members as we waited our entrance. A fellow actor was on her laptop checking out China.

"China, huh?" I said (of course, I might have said something different--its been a few months...).

"Yeah. I'm checking out where my husband and I want to go for our anniversary in November," she said. "We're thinking of going to a place neither of us have ever been to, so we're considering China."

"That sounds like fun," I said.

And it does.

It make me think of the anniversaries my wife and I have celebrated. Today is #26. We didn't go to China. We went to Red Lobster and then I had to go to work. In those twenty-six years my wife and I have traveled maybe twice and only once have we left the state to celebrate our anniversary. The time we did leave the state, we never went more than 2 miles from the state line.

And we're okay with that.


Years ago my wife and I decided to homeschool. What does that have to do with traveling for an anniversary? When you homeschool you usually can only have one income. I didn't realize, back when we made the decision, how it would impact us as a married couple. My income wouldn't send us to China. It barely sent us to Nevada.

Today my wife and I had a great day. We spent the morning and half the afternoon together. We had a delicious lunch and we did laundry. I put in seven hours of work and now the last embers of the fire that was September 22 are dying out. 

Twenty-six years. It's been amazing, and I'm so glad she said, "yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment