Friday, May 14, 2021

First Impressions..."Shadow And Bone"


 How much can you tell from just one show? There are SO many shows out there. Movies, series, limited series, even podcasts and webcasts...it can be--and it is--overwhelming. So, when we see an ad for yet another product vying for our ever limited time, the ad better be good because the person who saw your ad also saw hundreds of other things.

We're not necessarily anti-new. My wife and I have also checked out some new comedy series and we gave them thumbs down...not funny, or it seems they've sacrificed humor for social awareness.

I admit--I'm a little leery of new fantasy shows. I love the fantasy genre, even though I don't read enough of it. I've been burned by some fantasy series in the past, even if I'm a fan of the source material. I saw an ad for a new show, Shadow and Bone, based on the books by Leigh Bardugo (which I haven't read...yet) and it looked intriguing. I thought I'd give it a shot. Add to the mix a glowing recommendation from an author/friend Kevin Anderson, it increased my interest.

So, I watched Episode 1.

I thought it was great. The set-up was simple, yet fascinating. There's a world where societies are separated by a Shadow Fold...basically, a void. Voids, by nature, are scary. So is this one. In fact, it's terrifying. Some citizens of this world have magical powers. Some don't. In Episode 1 there's evil thugs, waring armies, secrets, and best friends from childhood now adults caught in this amazing world.

There's SO much riding on that first show, that first impression. Careers are made or destroyed over the success or failure of that one show. Yes, we've tried new shows before...some good, some okay, some terrible. Even though I've only watched one episode of Shadow and Bone, I'm going to watch more.

No comments:

Post a Comment