Sunday, May 23, 2021

Give Thanks...Bill Davies


 Bill Davies passed away last week.

And I'm a better person for knowing him.

When I think of Bill, one memory stands out. On a warm summer day, July, 2007, I watched a float pass by in our local parade, a float presenting and marketing a community theater. Driving the vehicle that pulled the parade float was Bill Davies. By that time I had performed in a half a dozen productions for that theater, so I walked to where all the floats parked at the of the parade to chat with my friends from the theater.

Though I most likely spoke with others, I can only remember speaking with one person. It was bill, still in the float-pulling truck.

"Hi, Bill," I said and he smiled back, recognizing me as a fellow community theater actor.

Then Bill said, "Sorry to hear about your mom."

My mom had passed away a few short weeks earlier, from the same cancer that claimed Bill. I was one of hundreds--perhaps thousands--of people who had entered those doors and performed on that stage, but Bill knew of our family's pain and reached out to me and offered comfort. That's they type of man Bill is. For as long as I live, I hope to always remember Bill's humanity. May God bless and comfort his wonderful wife and beautiful family. And so many more, for I'm not only person who is better for knowing him. Thanks, Bill--love you, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment