Thursday, May 6, 2021

I've Often Wondered If They Should Bring Back Firefly...I'm Re-Thinking My Opinion


 There's an opinion I've had about the long-defunct TV series Firefly. It's not a popular opinion, and I have very little evidence to back it up, but here it is...

I believe canceling was one of the best things that could have happened to the series.

For many, that's sacrilege, blasphemy, a bad thing to think, let alone, say.

When I say, it was a good thing, I only mean it thrust the show into a very special place, a place of reverence, of honor. It became more than it was because of the untaped and unrealized potential...what could have been. Each fan of the show has thought this...considered this.

Myself included.

Since the show was given such an undignified ending, we all have an idea of the show continuing--of Mal and the crew fighting injustice with irreverence, Chinese cursing, and humor. I think those lofty aspirations of a show discontinued would never be fully realized had the show been allowed to continue. That's why--my opinion, of course--it's probably best to let show, the stories, the world die. After all, a key character was killed in the movie, Serenity, and an actor of the series has since passed away. Many of the actors have gone on to other projects...I don't think that original magic can be resurrected, and if it was tried, it would be a poor imitation.

But I think I'm changing my mind.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been watching the Firefly series as I work out, about fifteen minutes at a time. After watching the series this time, I think they could bring back the series and have it not shatter those "what if" expectations we all have. The reason I think this is because the world building is so good. And if you've constructed a believable world, you can get new characters to fill that world.

Every now and then, there's a new rumor about the show coming back. In the past, I've thought that would be a mistake. Now, I'd welcome a new series. Whether or not that ever happens, who knows? If not, at least we'll still have our "what could have beens."



No comments:

Post a Comment