Monday, May 24, 2021

Time To Include This Song...Again


 I don't know where I first heard this hymn, but some music just reaches you, speaks to you on a different level. For me, this is one of those songs. Apparently, I'm not the only one. This particular hymn is a favorite of many, or so I'm told. The song was part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint's collection of hymns, but since 1985 it's not been included.

I think it's time for a change.

I heard a while back that the LDS Church is considering revamping their hymnal. It might even be completed--I don't know. A change after almost forty years sounds reasonable--probably a good time for a change. I wonder if they'll include Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing as an "official" selection.

Deciding what would be included and what won't be included must be a tough job. You're never going to please everyone. Imaging if a new hymnal comes out next year or the year after that and this song is not included, well...I'll be one that's not pleased. Let's say they do include the song and there are people out there who hate it. They won't be pleased...pleasing everyone is an impossibility.

I heard one time that the reason the hymn was not included when the new hymnal came out in 1985 was because it wasn't popular. I say give it another shot--see if people like it or if congregations will sing it. Hopefully, they will, but if not, then maybe they were right back then.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment