Monday, May 31, 2021

Hey...That Was My Idea


 I subscribe to an app called, App Advice Daily. It's a place that highlights free apps you can download and a new list of apps appears every day. Most of the time I just scan the three or four choices, then move on. A majority of the apps are not for me, and that's okay.

The other day, however, I saw an app that caught my attention. It's called Riff, and some of the descriptions of the app sounded familiar...

Because I thought about creating something like this decades ago.

This was long before apps were a thing. 

I envisioned a website where musicians could open a file of music. In that file would be tracks laid down by other musicians across the globe. It might have ten drum tracks, eight rhythm guitar tracks, twelve lead guitar tracks, five bass tracks, and seven keyboard tracks. The musician could then make up and add a track to the song--even a vocal track with your own lyrics. Or, the musician could open a new file and start a totally new song. What was really cool is you wouldn't even need to be a musician. You could open a file and mix-and-match already existing tracks to create a song from what people had already created. There could literally be millions of possibilities.

I chose a domain name and called the site: Jam Mixer.

Of course, I never made the website and I let the domain name lapse. 

I don't believe Riff is what I was thinking, but from the description, it and my idea were ways for musicians all over the world to collaborate. So, the idea wasn't exactly mine...but close.

No comments:

Post a Comment